Trim's Favorite Summer Happenings in NYC
The sun is out, the drinks are cold, and New York City is bustling with excitement and sweet summer fun! If you are anywhere near the Tri-State area, be sure to check out these new hot spots and places to be.
Concerts & Festivals
- The Governor’s Ball- This festival, on Randall’s Island from June 6th to the 8th, has acts ranging from Outkast, Vampire Weekend, Jack White, The Strokes, and many more! Get ready to jam out!
- Mad Decent Block Party- If you enjoy Diplo, Dillon Francis, and Flosstradamus, this dj-filled festival is for you! The date is August 8th, the location is MCU Park in Brooklyn, be there or be square.
- Electric Zoo- For all the EDM-lovers who can’t make Electric Daisy, dance your way to this festival August 29th -31st! Playing will be David Guetta, Jamie xx, Zedds Dead, Laidback Luke, and tons more.
- Jack Johnson- Who doesn’t love banana pancakes? Go see Jack for yourself June 10th in Brooklyn for the Celebrate Brooklyn Tour. Also playing later dates will be Neutral Milk Hotel and The National.
- Jay-Z and Beyonce- So this is in the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, but for those of you staying at Rutgers for the summer it’s close by! Go see Queen Bey do her thang on July 11th.
Things to see & do
- Kara Walker Sculpture- Art History students and art lovers alike, gather round to see Walker’s newest creation: a 75 ft tall sphinx coated in sugar. It is located at an old Domino’s factory and will be publicly displayed till July 6th.
- NYC Pride March- The march will begin June 29th and is part of the massive NYC LGBT Pride Week. Dress up and show your pride regardless of what or who you are! P.S there are usually performers who attend too, some of whom have been Lady Gaga and Madonna.
- Brooklyn Flea Market- Browse fascinating clothes, accessories, and home decor by more than 100 local vendors in Williamsburg! Don’t forget to come hungry too and try some fresh pizza, donuts, hot dogs, and more.
- Hester Street Fair-Travel back in time as you walk in streets filled with antiques and vintage fare! Located on Hester St. on Saturdays and Sundays from 11am to 6pm.
- Jazz Age Lawn Party- Bring Gatsby and all your friends to this 1920s esque party! Listen to live piano, see tap dancers, and drink martinis. General admission is $35 and it runs from June 14th to the 15th and August 16th to the 17th.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes- Too lazy to wait in line for a sugary cupcake on a hot summer day? Don’t be too embarrassed if you are because this cupcake company has opened up a cupcake ATM! Treat yourself.
- Buvette- If you are hungry for some French style cuisine, visit this cute restaurant! Not only do they have outdoor dining, but also offer breakfast, brunch, and dinner at reasonable prices.
- The Pines- Just think of a grown-up summer camp, except you won’t find soggy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches here! Instead, you can get a relaxing outdoorsy atmosphere and a wood-fired grill. This place is perfect for a cute summer date!
- Momofuku Noodle Bar- Replace your college take-out with Momofuku’s ramen and noodle bowls and fried chicken! Their outdoor patio is just as breezy as their prices.
- Battery Harris-Pair craft beer and cocktails with an enticing menu and uber cool outdoor area, and you will get Battery’s in Williamsburg. Don’t miss out on their beer and burger happy hour Monday through Friday till 7:30!
P.S New York Restaurant Week is going on July 22nd to August 16! Get ready for three course meals at only $25 and dine like a real New Yorker.
Have the best summer ever in NYC!